WQ83826 (w) Tabled on 09/11/2021

Where responsibility for a service or provision is unclear between the UK Government and the Welsh Government, as in the case of the Global Health Insurance Card, how can the Welsh Government ensure that Welsh-language provision of the service is available, and promoted, on an equal basis with English-language provision?

Answered by Minister for Education and the Welsh Language | Answered on 17/11/2021

In situations where the Welsh Government has responsibility for a service being provided on its behalf by the UK Government, a Memorandum of Understanding is agreed, which clearly sets out the Welsh language requirements.   

If the Welsh Government does not have responsibility for the service, as in the case of the Global Health Insurance Card (as international agreements are reserved matters to the UK Government), it is for the Welsh Language Commissioner to regulate the Welsh language schemes of UK Government departments under the Welsh Language Act 1993.   

However, Welsh Government officials have contacted the NHS BSA, which is responsible for the delivery of the card, to discuss its provision in Wales.