NDM8200 - Opposition DebateTabled on 31/01/2023 | For debate on 08/02/2023
To propose that the Senedd:
1. Recognises the opportunities for freeports to energise the Welsh economy, create high quality jobs, promote regeneration and investment.
2. Notes that three bids from Wales have been submitted for consideration by the UK and Welsh Governments.
3. Calls on the Welsh Government to work with the UK Government to deliver two freeports in Wales, recognising the truly exceptional proposals submitted and the transformational benefits they can deliver for the Welsh economy.
Delete all and replace with:
1. Recognises that ports, harbours, seaside resorts and other coastal communities are being left behind and require investment to secure their long term viability.
2. Further recognises that coastal communities face multiple long-term structural problems, including, but not limited to, poverty and environmental changes.
3. Notes the UK Government's freeports policy and the negotiated changes to UK Government’s original offer.
4. Further notes that three bids from Wales have been submitted for consideration by the UK and Welsh Governments and that local authorities and other partners have put together bids that they believe reflect their communities’ needs.
5. Believes that the issues facing our coastal communities need a broader response including improvement in infrastructure and measures to tackle poverty.
6. Calls on both the UK and Welsh Governments to significantly increase funding for infrastructure and poverty reduction in our coastal communities to address the problems they face.
Delete point 3 and replace with:
Notes that the three bids which were submitted are now being assessed by both the Welsh and UK governments, against the criteria published in the Freeport Programme in Wales Prospectus and the outcome of this process will be jointly decided between Welsh and UK Government Ministers as part of an open and transparent process.
Freeport Programme in Wales: bidding prospectus