NDM7725 - Opposition DebateTabled on 22/06/2021 | For debate on 30/06/2021
To propose that the Senedd:
1. Notes the Senedd’s declaration of a climate emergency in 2019.
2. Notes that the 15th meeting of the Conference of the Parties (COP15) to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) will meet this autumn to agree to a global biodiversity framework.
3. Believes there should be parity between actions taken by the Welsh Government to tackle climate change and those taken to tackle biodiversity loss.
4. Recognises the need to close the environmental governance gap created by our departure from the EU.
5. Declares a nature emergency.
6. Calls on the Welsh Government to:
a) introduce legally binding requirement to reverse biodiversity loss through statutory targets;
b) legislate to establish an independent environmental governance body for Wales.
Delete point 4 and replace with:
Recognises the opportunity for Wales to be a world leader on environmental governance following the United Kingdom’s departure from the European Union.
Add as new sub-point at end of point 6:
'work more closely with the UK Government on the response to the climate emergency and nature recovery.'